Cell Applications' Dermal Microvascular Endothelial Cells (CADMEC™/HMVEC) are isolated from normal human neonatal foreskin or adult skin capillaries. They are cryopreserved at second passage and can be cultured and propagated at least 16 population doublings. They are responsive to cytokine stimulation in the expression of cell adhesion molecules. CADMEC™ express CD36 constitutively, while large vessel endothelial cells do not. CADMEC™ is an organ-specific endothelial cell system for the study of angiogenesis1, tumor metastasis2,3, wound healing4, inflammation5,6, macromolecule transport7, and drug metabolism8. There is growing evidence of differences in physiology and pharmacology between microvascular endothelial cells and macrovascular endothelial cells9,10.
Pre-Screened HMVEC/CADMEC: Cell Applications, Inc. provides special lots that are verified as responsive to VEGF. The activation of VEGF-R2 was validated by assessing autophosphorylation at tyrosine 1175. VEGF-R2 is a high affinity receptor for VEGF which stimulates proliferation, chemotaxis and sprouting of endothelial cells in vitro and angiogenesis in vivo via VEGF-R2 signaling pathway. More information about these endothelial cells can be found on the Pre-Screened Endothelial Cell Product Page.
Positive for factor VIII-related antigen expression.
Positive for CD36 expression.
Positive for metabolic activity by DiI-Ac-LDL uptake.
Positive for functional activity by cytokine-stimulated leukocyte adherence.
1. Swerlick, R.A. et.al, J. Invest. Dermatol. 97(2):190 (1991)
2. Folkman, J. et al, Nature 288:551 (1980).
3. Lee, K.H. et al, J. Invest. Dermatol. 98(1):79 (1992).
4. Deryugina, E.I. et al, Hybridoma 15(4):279 (1996)
5. Sepp, N.T. et al, J. Invest. Dermatol. 104(2):277 (1995).
6. Swerlick, R.A. et al, J. Invest. Dermatol. 100(1):111S (1993).
7. Hanasaki, K. et al, J. Bio. Chem. 270(13):7533 (1995)
8. Pruckler, J.M. et al, Pathobiology 61:283 (1993).
9. Foster, C.A. et al, J. Dermatol. 21(11):847 (1994).
10. Schnitzer, J.E. et al, BBRC. 199(1):11 (1994).
Each lot tested negative for HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C and negative for mycoplasma, bacteria, yeast, fungi.
Products are for research use only. They are not intended for human, animal, or diagnostic applications.